Enter your information and a Smart Start representative will follow up with you as soon as possible to schedule your installation. Thanks for your business!
Smart Start offers remote unlocking. This service is available if you go into lockout and cannot get to a service center. You will be given a code. The code can be entered into the device using the keypad. This code will extend your lockout grace period for no more than six hours. The code is only good one time and the device will operate as normal. You are required to take and pass a test before starting the vehicle. The code does not bypass the device.
Here are a few of the messages that may display on your screen along with an explanation of what each one means:
- WAIT ## - The unit is preparing for a breath test.
- BLOW - The unit is ready to accept a breath test.
- TEST - The unit is accepting the test.
- SRVC / L ### - This is a reminder of the number of hours remaining before the unit goes into lockout due to missing your monthly service appointment.
- BLOW / VLOCK @ # D ## - This is a reminder of the days remaining before lockout due to violations.
- LOCKOUT VIOL - The device is in lockout due to violations. You must call to get an unlock code that is only valid for a few hours.
- APPT #### / MM/DD/YY - This is a reminder that your appointment date is approaching. This starts flashing 5 days before your appointment date.
- VIOL REMAIN #### - This shows the number of violations remaining before the unit goes into the lockout grace period. Press the # sign and the number three (3) on the keypad to see this display.
- You should drink water prior to each and every breath test. This will eliminate breath contaminants. Remember, always take a deep breath immediately before taking a test.
- The interlock device has no effect on the engine operation and can't turn your engine off once it is running.
- Anyone can drive your vehicle, but they must use the device and you are responsible for all readings recorded by the device.
- If you are the driver of the vehicle, letting someone else take a test for you is a program violation.
- If your vehicle needs service, have the service technician call Smart Start for instructions. Keep receipts from the shop indicating the date and time it was in for service as well as the date and time it was picked up.
- If you need to replace your battery or starter, save the receipt of purchase and keep the time between disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it as short as possible.
- You have several minutes to respond to a retest. Find a safe place to park before taking a retest. Missing a retest is a violation and will be recorded by the device.
- Once the device begins asking for a retest, be sure to take the test before turning off your ignition or you will lose a violation.
- When using the device, always practice safe driving habits.
- Do not use a breath freshening agent just before taking a test. Most of these agents contain a high level of alcohol.
- Place the device where you can see the LCD display. If a retest is requested and you are driving with the radio playing loudly or a window down, you may not hear the beeping sound that the unit will make. If you can see the LCD display, you will probably notice the retest indication. An optional LED light is available for clients who are hearing impaired.
- Do not place the interlock where it is prone to damage such as on the floor or under your ashtray. Also don't place it where you can’t see it or hear it. Do not expose the unit to moisture from liquids. You are responsible for damages due to negligence or abuse of the device.
Smart Start of Alabama is the smart choice for ignition interlock because we offer top-notch customer service and a convenient process. Smart Start offers a toll-free 24/7 service line where you can always speak to a real person. Contact us with questions or to schedule an installation.
- Sign Up Now & Save
20% on Your Installation!
Thank You! A Smart Start representative will contact you as soon as possible.
I'm Brand New to Smart Start
I'm Already a Customer
I'm An Authority or Attorney