Enter your information and a Smart Start representative will follow up with you as soon as possible to schedule your installation. Thanks for your business!
You made a big mistake driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs, and you got caught. You’re living with the consequences of your DUI or DWI charge. You had an ignition interlock device (IID) installed in your vehicle, and you embraced the process of meeting your program’s requirements. Once a month you brought your vehicle in for service and calibration. Now you’re ready to move on from this time in your life, and you’re looking forward to getting rid of that restricted license.
If you have met the requirements of your restricted license, ALEA / DPS, and your automobile blow machine, you may be a bit overwhelmed trying to figure out what needs to happen to get the device removed. Smart Start of Alabama understands that this is a stressful time for you, and we will do our best to make sure the removal of your alcohol device is one less worry. We’re glad our product was able to help you drive safely, and we celebrate your success!
Once all state and program requirements are fulfilled, a removal can be scheduled. Some removal requirements vary depending on who ordered you to install the device initially:
- ALEA / DPS clients should retain any forms given to you after applying for your ignition interlock license, as these may be needed during the removal process.
- Judge or other monitoring authority clients may be issued an official removal clearance or notification on letterhead. You may also need your court minutes stating the order to remove the unit.
All clients will need to present a valid driver's license with no interlock restrictions. Once this has all been provided and verified, we simply remove your device. If there are any discrepancies or special situations, make sure you double-check with your program contact before removing your ignition interlock device! If you remove your device before your program is completed, you may be charged with additional fees and/or added time with your interlock.
A few miscellaneous notes about interlock removals:
- If your vehicle was repossessed or totaled, you can reach out to us at 1.866.447.8686 to expedite the process and we can assist you quickly.
- Keep in mind that your lease end date with your interlock device vendor does not mean that is the date you can remove your interlock!
- Don’t ever attempt removing the interlock device yourself! In addition to the headache and frustrations, you may also be left with additional charges against you. Tampering with or removing your own device may also extend the time you’re required to have it, jeopardize your driving privileges completely, and cost you hefty fines.
Smart Start highly recommends complying with your court or state orders to successfully and easily complete your program. If you do that, the removal process will be quick and trouble-free.
We want you to succeed in your program, and we look forward to you getting back on the road safely. Always expect exceptional customer service when you come into a Smart Start of Alabama location. From the time you call to schedule your appointment until we remove your device, you can expect courteous and prompt service from all of our qualified technicians and customer service representatives. Call us with any questions or to schedule your removal appointment.
- Sign Up Now & Save
20% on Your Installation!
Thank You! A Smart Start representative will contact you as soon as possible.
I'm Brand New to Smart Start
I'm Already a Customer
I'm An Authority or Attorney