Enter your information and a Smart Start representative will follow up with you as soon as possible to schedule your installation. Thanks for your business!
You have received a DUI or DWI, and you are required to have a court-approved ignition interlock device installed. Now you’re wondering what you can expect during this process, and you’re already worried about the time and expense this will require. Smart Start of Alabama understands that this is a stressful time for you, and we will do our best to make sure the installation and service of your device is one less worry.
The installation process can be summarized as:
1. Call us. Or you can just complete our contact form to initiate the process and one of our agents will call you back. Using this form gives you a 20% discount on the already low price of our installation.
2. Set up an installation appointment. Since you’ll be speaking to an actual person, we’ll make sure your appointment is at a time most convenient for you. We’ll ask you where you live to help determine which location would work best.
3. Arrive at your scheduled appointment at the Smart Start of Alabama location you chose. We’ll make sure you fill out all required ALEA / DPS and monitoring authority paperwork. Our certified technicians will install the unit. Meanwhile, you’ll receive training on how to interact with the device. A short video is helpful in showing you things you need to know about your new vehicle breathalyzer and how it functions.
Our certified installation process is that easy! You’ll be back on the road in no time. Here are a few things you’ll need to bring with you to your appointment:
- a photo ID: If you do not have a photo ID, bring 2 pieces of mail showing proof of residency.
- vehicle registration: If your vehicle is new or you have misplaced your registration, just bring in proof of purchase or ownership. If you do not own the vehicle, the owner will be required to sign a waiver which will allow you to install the device in their vehicle.
- the vehicle: You will need to be sure your vehicle is in good working order. If you are unsure about the condition of your battery, starter, or alternator, please have a mechanic test your system ahead of time to be sure everything is working properly. The ignition interlock is a piece of electronic equipment which is powered by your vehicle. If your battery, alternator, or starter/ignition system is not functioning properly, it will not allow the unit to function properly. We do not install our devices on any inoperable vehicles.
You will only be required to bring your vehicle in for service and calibration once a month. At that time, you will make your monthly payment and schedule your next monthly service. Your device will be calibrated and inspected to maintain all state and program requirements. All necessary device information will be downloaded and sent to your monitoring authority. If you are working or can't make it to your scheduled appointment, no problem. If approved by your authority, our unit allows a grace period past your appointment to give you a little extra time to get in for service.
Once all state and program requirements are fulfilled, a removal can be scheduled. ALEA / DPS clients should retain any forms given to you after applying for your ignition interlock license. Clients monitored by a judge or other monitoring authority may receive an official removal clearance or notification on letterhead. You may need your court minutes stating the order to remove the unit. Regardless of who ordered your device, all clients will need to present a valid driver's license with no interlock restrictions. Once the above has been provided and verified, we simply remove your device and get you back on the road quickly.
This time in your life can be stressful and overwhelming, but the installation and service of your interlock device shouldn’t be. From the time you call to schedule your appointment until the time we remove your device, you will receive courteous and prompt service from all of our qualified technicians and customer service representatives. Contact us to get the process started!
- Sign Up Now & Save
20% on Your Installation!
Thank You! A Smart Start representative will contact you as soon as possible.
I'm Brand New to Smart Start
I'm Already a Customer
I'm An Authority or Attorney